I recently had a wonderful talk with Zack Schuler. We discussed how 95 % of all breaches are caused by human error. It seems like such an obvious problem. But what can you do about this? Zack’s company has developed a way using a team of Hollywood writers to develop compelling security education and training to not just have your IT professionals involved in IT defense, but have all your employees involved.
4 Key Learning Points:
- The importance of the gamification of security training in developing a security culture
- The importance of entertainment in storytelling
- How to deploy training easily and efficiently.
- How to measure the effectiveness of training.
Listen to more about how to help train staff on increasing security awareness and education through a unique method of gamification and storytelling.
Zack Schuler is the founder and CEO of Ninjio, which is an I.T. Security Awareness business. Zack is passionate about keeping people safe from the countless cyber threats that are ever increasing.
Summarized Show Notes:
- How Zack found Ninjio [02:56]
- Thoughts on securing the weakest link in the chain [04:22]
- How to spend money on tools and make them your allies[05:03]
- Zack’s opinion on end user responsibilities [06:01]
- The main cause of most breaches and ways to fight it [06:55]
- Discussing the tendency of spending money on technology instead of educating humans about security [07:29]
- Creating an inter-active environment to educate people[08:10]
- Elaborating on the importance of creating a story to help people retain new information. [09:30]
- How to create a teachable moment in order to get people to learn. [10:12]
- Changing the culture of how people learn about security is more entertaining [10:35]
- Security Awareness training is not easy needs a different educational approach[11:11]
- Thoughts on security documentation and plethora of policies. [14:07]
- Zack Schuler’s gives details on his educational approach [15:21]
- Monitoring educational progress with the help of dashboard [16:35]
- Zack’s concept validation with the help of Knowbe4 . [17:22]
- What security awareness companies are implementing the training[18:14]
- Building gamification into a product [20:03]
- Thoughts on gamification and Jane McGonigal’s book Super Better [21:11]
- Elaborating on the importance of employee education [23:23]
How to get in touch with Zack:
- Ninjio Explainer Video
- LA Times article
- OC Biz Blog
- Superbetter – Jane McGonigal
Love this episode? Leave a Review
If you haven’t already, please make sure you leave us a review on iTunes.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world-renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader.
Connect With Us On Social Media
Join The CIO Innovation Mastermind Community
We invite the top 20% of Business IT Leaders for my CIO Innovation Mastermind Events group to participate in monthly discussions on things like VR, AI, and other disruptive & emerging technologies. If you want to become a member, email Chief of Staff, Jamie Luber Jluber@redzonetech.net for more information.