In this episode I interviewed Michelle Gielan, Founder of the Institute for Applied Positive Research, former CBS News anchor, and author of the Bestselling book, Broadcasting Happiness. As a psychology researcher, Michelle’s work has been featured in The New York Times, Washington Post, FORBES, Harvard Business Review, and on the CNN and FOX News networks. Listen as Michelle and I discuss the power of positivity, our responsibility as individual broadcasters, and how business leaders can radically improve employee performance by bringing the right attitude to the office.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:02 – Bill welcomes Michelle to the show
- 01:30 – How Michelle went from being a computer engineer, to news anchor, to psych researcher
- 01:55 – Do work that fits your calling—that helps you serve the world
- 02:30 – At the height of the recession, Michelle was broadcasting negativity every day which took its toll and is ultimately why she left
- 03:30 – Defining positive psychology
- 03:50 – How can we—once we get people to baseline—get them to thrive?
- 04:45 – When we make small changes in the way we communicate with people it radically alters how impactful our interactions can be
- 05:09 – The science behind positive psychology
- 05:43 – We’re all broadcasters—we all have influence and power over others
- 06:12 – When leaders come into the office with a negative/stress mindset, it’s broadcast to the employees
- 07:48 – The pre-frontal cortex
- 08:05 – The dopamine hit and the risks of addiction
- 08:35 – Small complements to employees result in small dopamine hits which results in better productivity
- 10:05 – The brain is like a muscle—we can change it, we are not dealt a set hand of cards
- 11:05 – How much support your organization provides can radically alter the on-job performance of your employees
- 11:50 – Work optimism
- 12:00 – Positive Engagement
- 12:06 – Support Provision
- 12:45 – What you give is what you get in terms of positivity
- 13:28 – Look at challenging or stressful situations as opportunities to be a hero
- 14:30 – Exercises and habits to re-writing how we think
- 14:58 – The Power Lead
- 16:25 – Michelle’s work with Nationwide Insurance
- 17:28 – The changes invoked via Michelle’s team 3X’d Nationwide’s sales
- 17:39 – Rethinking small business practices, and showing up fully as leaders can radically improve your operation
- 18:55 – Those small conversations you have with your employees in the hallway, in the breakroom, etc. add up in a BIG way
- 19:45 – As a leader, you are complete responsible for how you show up
- 21:09 – Michelle’s practical tips
- 21:27 – Beware To-Do lists—make sure it includes “wins”
- 23:09 – Instead of trying to fix flaws, focus on strengths and accomplishments
- 24:37 – BUSY PEOPLE!—craft your early morning experience with positivity so it can fuel you the rest of the day
- 25:43 – Transformative Journalism—less on the problem, more on the solution
- 26:48 – Negative events will befall us…it’s what we do with those experiences that matters
- 27:10 – Michelle’s idea billboard—you are a broadcaster and the message you choose to broadcast will radically alter those around you.
- 27:55 – Broadcasting Happiness Website
3-5 Key Points:
- We’re not dealt a fixed set of cards—don’t be afraid to change directions and pivot your focus, that’s how Michelle went from computer engineer to broadcaster to author.
- Stop dwelling on the negatives in your life—focus on your strengths and accomplishments.
- We are ALL broadcasters and we are all responsible for the message(s) we broadcast.
- Rethink your small business practices—cherish those hallway or lunchroom conversations with employees, and make sure you show up in a state of positivity every day.
- Microsoft Hololens –The first fully untethered, holographic computer
- Broadcasting Happiness – Michelle’s book on Amazon
- Michelle Gielan – Today’s guest
- Transformative Journalism – Journalism that’s about moving forward not backward
- Broadcasting Happiness Website – The website for Michelle’s quiz and contact info
Love this episode? Leave a Review
If you haven’t already, please make sure you leave us a review on iTunes.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world-renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader.
Connect With Us On Social Media
Join The CIO Innovation Mastermind Community
We invite the top 20% of Business IT Leaders for my CIO Innovation Mastermind Events group to participate in monthly discussions on things like VR, AI, and other disruptive & emerging technologies. If you want to become a member, email Chief of Staff, Jamie Luber Jluber@redzonetech.net for more information.