My guest this week is Seth Familian, who specializes in connecting powerful web-based tools and services to create highly customized marketing + analytics experiences for product and content marketing teams. He is the founder and principal of Familian&1, a visual insights and automation consultancy whose work has benefitted companies including Cisco, RingCentral, Adorama and Cloud9. Seth is also an avid educator with experience teaching over 800 students in 40+ workshops on Visual Design with Data, Working with Big Data, Digital Tools for Business and Affordable Web Design. He has lectured at General Assembly, Galvanize, Impact HUB SF, Presidio Graduate School, the Haas School of Business and KQED.
Seth received his MBA from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business in 2007 and his BA from Harvard University in 2001. He is based in Boulder, CO and works from Galvanize Boulder.
If you are a CIO, CMO, an entrepreneur, a CIO who is expected to also be a CMO or a CISO who wants to better present data…Regardless of your situation all will benefit from this conversation.
Download the Full Transcript>>
Major Take-Aways From This Episode:
- Why it is important to build visual design skills into your team?
- What are the big errors in data visualization and storytelling?
- Seth’s favorite tools you have to look at:
- Concept of Scrollytelling
- Mixpanel – Most advanced analytics platform for mobile and web
- Intercom – Customer messaging platform
- Segment – Customer data platform
- Google TAG manager – Free tool that makes it easy for marketers to add and update website tags
- Skitch – Evernote application that tries to make information as easy to relay virtually as it is in real life, by capturing screenshots and annotating them
- Time-saving tactics with creating effective visual presentations of data
- His presentations on Slideshare are great. One of them – Visual Design with Data got 500k + views
- Visualization Strategies for IT Execs; Tools and Ideas on how they can be more successful
- Ways to leverage cloud apps + infrastructure to shorten implementation times
- Different trends I’m noticing in data viz and storytelling (like Scrollytelling). Check out the Guardian Newspaper article about Hollman Square to see an example of Scrollytelling. In a world of high complexity, business IT leaders need ways to visualize data and, more importantly, context in data in the ways that engage business leaders
How to get in touch with Seth Familian
- Slideshare Presentation (Working with Big Data)
- Slideshare Presentation (Visual Design with Data) 500k+ views
- Slideshare Presentation (Automating Big Data)
- Best Data Viz Book – Good Charts
Love this episode? Leave a Review
Share it on your LinkedIn feed.
If you haven’t already, please make sure you leave us a review on iTunes.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world-renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader.
Connect With Us On Social Media
Connect with Bill on LinkedIn.
Join The CIO Innovation Mastermind Community
We invite the top 20% of Business IT Leaders for my CIO Innovation Mastermind Events group to participate in monthly discussions on things like VR, AI, and other disruptive & emerging technologies. If you want to become a member, email Chief of Staff, Jamie Luber Jluber@redzonetech.net for more information.